CivCraft.net Forums

Back to Civcraft.net

It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:39 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

When should the anti-hack be enforced?
Immediately! Before Arendal's beta6 last WarTime! 69%  69%  [ 29 ]
After Arendal moves to beta7. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
After beta7 ends. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Never! This is a terrible idea! (Please say why in comments) 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 42
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:45 pm 
AvRGaming Staff

AssassinStingray wrote:
I love the idea of having to have this installed to be able to participate in war time. I think it would be great to have it as a requirement to play the game but do see and understand how that would push people away from the game, until/unless there was a way to do this server side, but there is probably not it would be a fantastic addition to this game-mode that would even out wartime. Also would be great if world downloader could be added to the restricted list.

AssassinStingray

One idea Robosnail and I were tossing around was to watch players for nocheat violations and/or use the in-game report feature so that if a player racks up too many violations or reports then the anti-cheat becomes required for them for a period of time. Having player 'reports' would isolate new players from having to install the mod since there would be no reason to report them. However I don't want to encourage people to start report-griefing though. Perhaps issuing a report also increases your requirement to use the anti-cheat as well so its a bit like mutually assured destruction of unauthorized client mods. :lol: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:50 pm 
Settler

I had this in mind for years, but thought it would be a hassle for noobs.
I am all in!
Is this based of VAC or Valve Anti-Cheat? Seems to be very similar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:59 pm 
Warrior

Love the idea of the in game reporting option to an extent. It would be easily abused, but I have no problem running the client at all times, on all servers. Although the reporting should be tiered to alleviate pressure and work load from the devs. 1st level report should be reviewed by moderators, then if they thought reports had some validity or came from multiple sources, then they could bump report to admin(s), then they could attach the client requirement for that person. just a thought.

AssassinStingray

Leader-Lionheart-Grenard Phase 5
Leader-Sappers-Grenard Phase 6 - Winner
Leader-Nine_worlds/Valhöll-Grenard Phase 7
Leader-CivCraft_Studios-Corinth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:02 pm 
AvRGaming Staff

99ytrewq911 wrote:
Is this based of VAC or Valve Anti-Cheat? Seems to be very similar

I don't share any code with VAC but the principal is the same. The best way to detect hacks is to run hack detection code on the client side. It then becomes an arms race between the hacks and the anti-cheat. As time goes on the anti-cheat and hacks both become more sophisticated in their attempts to thwart each other and eventually it hopefully becomes so much trouble for the hackers that they have to start charging for their hacks.

All in all, the arms race reduces the number of hackers that can get hacks that work, and each time a new version of the anti-hack comes out a bunch of hackers get banned further increasing the risks to using hacks. IMHO its the best solution we can hope for at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:04 pm 
AvRGaming Staff

I'd like to point out that I've anticipated someone attempting to hack this anti-hack client and the first version will already deploy some counter-measures. Version is built in to the system so players connecting with older versions of the anti-hack can be 'forced' to upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:08 pm 
Prince

I love the idea, but I barley play Minecraft without Optifine let along Pvp. If it turns out optifine will not be compatible, please disable any weather during war-time. I think it would help anyways now for regular players.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:12 pm 
AvRGaming Staff

Presto_Blue wrote:
I love the idea, but I barley play Minecraft without Optifine let along Pvp. If it turns out optifine will not be compatible, please disable any weather during war-time. I think it would help anyways now for regular players.

Optifine will be approved and ready to use AFAIK. Optifine loads into forge just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:14 pm 
Prince

netizen539 wrote:
Presto_Blue wrote:

Optifine will be approved and ready to use AFAIK. Optifine loads into forge just fine.

Hmm alright. Will magic launcher work with the anti-hack mod?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:16 pm 
AvRGaming Staff

Presto_Blue wrote:
netizen539 wrote:
Presto_Blue wrote:

Hmm alright. Will magic launcher work with the anti-hack mod?

I believe so. The anti-hack is checking minecraft client, not the launcher.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:55 pm 
Prince

Only problem is when someone finds a workaround they can hack, but since the the anti-hack thing appears to be loaded they "aren't hacking"

3x winner

Vindi

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next