CivCraft.net Forums

Back to Civcraft.net

It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

When should the anti-hack be enforced?
Immediately! Before Arendal's beta6 last WarTime! 69%  69%  [ 29 ]
After Arendal moves to beta7. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
After beta7 ends. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Never! This is a terrible idea! (Please say why in comments) 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 42
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:05 pm 
Peasant

This should be added immediately, though there is some problems with the current system anyways, just to name some:

Public Channels are clogged. - Most of the public ways to report a bug are clogged, confirmed by staff, and though it isn't completely useless reporting stuff, unless a staff member is directly messaged shit ain't going to happen for a while.

Community is useless, people have lost sight of the true goal. - This is beta. There are bugs. There definitely will be exploits, and I feel too much emphasis is placed on a beta test when really we want the mod released. Over half of the community is shit-useless (As in, good for growing money I guess, but other than that don't know much anyways) I think the community AND the staff need to look in the right direction when it comes to bugs and glitches. I'm 100% sure if winning in beta was less important in the minds of the community than actually finding bugs and reporting it, and the admins are going about this business wrong. I'm sure many many more exploits and glitches and bugs will be found and fixed, but to the unsung heroes who abuse these bugs, really, if it weren't for them imagine the kinds of nightmares CivCraft would have if these glitches were out on release. (Just look at tekkit)
While I don't condone abusing these glitches, I do see the value of the people who actually find these bugs. Maybe instead of looking at somebody else's faults, you look internally first.

Too many kids - There are WAY too many ignorant pricks who don't know anything about the game and whine in [L] or [G] chat. I know there is a message as you log in saying "This is an advanced game mode, go read the wiki" but that definetly isn't enough. The wrong kinds of people are being attracted. Instead of somebody who actually can read, you get 12 yr old x-box live addicts who like CoD and hate reading. This is a huge issue in the community because it also brings kids who use illegal clients/mods.

Not enough co-operation. - Since the huge incident with mods abusing, there has been an sort of ex-communication between the general public and the staff. This needs to change, along with reluctance to re-introduce chat moderators and administrators. Ever since that one faithful phase, CivCraft has lost a lot of popularity and the beta community has definitely lost it's quality and charm. Netizen & Co. need to realise that this is beta, and he should be thanking whatever he believes in that it happened in beta, and not on official release or something. Atleast in beta, he has an excuse for having so many glitches and bugs, and so many problems arise, but this won't be the case forever. Maybe he should open up his mind and remember what he really is doing, because whatever he's doing is obviously not working. (Just look on the forums, on the server, or even ask in [G] chat what's up.) Another thing staff need to realize is that the players DO matter. Yes, you do have to put up with their shit on a daily basis, but they also have to put up with your fuck-ups when you introduce a new exploit into the game.

A sidenote to exploits, I did get destroyed by exploits, and I cried for like 1 hr. After that, I realised that if this was official or something, I'd be a lot angrier, especially if winning even meant something. Reporting an exploit is usually not even worth the effort, maybe the admins should make some sort of rewards program with platinum since it's already so freaking hard to get, then maybe they'd get stuff done. I for one, am sick of being ignored when I try to report something and then find out later people are getting in shit for abusing it. Don't you know anything about pets or people? Just use the fking carrot or the whip, instead of whipping your donkeys, no wonder they buck and exploit your gamemode. Old sayings contain truth, and you should always look at your current position and try to improve it, this is basic business 101...

If you look at the situation with no bias from both perspectives, this looks like an unhappy marriage, so go do something before you end up on Dr. Phil or something. ;)

Oh look! Bugs!!! Quick notify the admins, they're in for round 2 of phase 6 bugs! (Still unfixed, gj)
http://titanpad.com/ep/pad/view/CivcraftBugs/latest

I hope you got the joke in this picture, if you did you're sharp.

Last edited by Arturec on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:12 pm 
Prince

Removed by Netizen539: Off-topic, attacking and harassing a staff member. No need for this here.

3x winner

Vindi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:23 pm 
Warrior

+1 Love the whole idea but we still need more MOD/Admins...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:25 pm 
AvRGaming Staff

Arturec wrote:
Public Channels are clogged. - Most of the public ways to report a bug are clogged, confirmed by staff, and though it isn't completely useless reporting stuff, unless a staff member is directly messaged shit ain't going to happen for a while.

It also helps when people actually report things *cough*. Go ahead and read through the reports on the Bug Reports forum. They almost ever include real exploits or things that unfairly benefit players and yet I hear people complain left and right about duping and exploiting. My inbox is empty in this regard. Why? Because people are using exploits for their own personal gain. :roll: I think you're right in that this IS a beta and it makes no sense to not report exploits just for the sake of winning in a beta. The casual server I think will help with this since there is no 'winner' they'd rather not get caught using a exploit and never seeing the civ they put so much work into. OstrichMann being admin on Corinth is turning out to be good so far, especially since it's a much more relaxed environment.

I don't think however that this community is useless. The amount of problems they've found and helped fix is staggering. Not just from a bug/exploit perspective but also a gameplay perspective on things that are missing/not fun and things that are. I think the game has just progressed to a point that people actually forget it's in beta and they care about what happens. This isn't a bad thing! To me this means that people actually care about the game and their place in it. It's human nature to want to keep competitive advantages a secret. The fact that people are keeping exploits a secret is a sign that CivCraft is getting closer to release.

Having this client anti-hack will further diffuse the situation by quite a bit. It at least gives me the power to fight back in a reasonable manner.

Also I completely disagree that what we're doing is not working. Phase 3/4 had more players, but the game mode was also new and we had a lot of traffic from shotbow. We've lost a lot of players simply due to some players deciding its not the game for them and due to new game modes like Annihilation. The player base has stayed around 200 players per day for a while with no advertising or even announcements on our part. Could there be more players? Sure, but I don't think maintaining a consistent playerbase as a 'failure'.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:01 pm 
Settler

I understand you need forge+reis minimap is that correct or without forge?

Phase 7: resident of lightz, resident of Holy WON

Arendal
Phase 6 resident of Mysted, mayor of Quanton
Phase 7 resident of westeros

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:06 pm 
Prince

Note: Did not mean to make this into a flaming grounds but I wanted to get my ideas about his post

Quote:
Community is useless, people have lost sight of the true goal. - This is beta. There are bugs. There definitely will be exploits, and I feel too much emphasis is placed on a beta test when really we want the mod released. Over half of the community is shit-useless (As in, good for growing money I guess, but other than that don't know much anyways) I think the community AND the staff need to look in the right direction when it comes to bugs and glitches. I'm 100% sure if winning in beta was less important in the minds of the community than actually finding bugs and reporting it, and the admins are going about this business wrong. I'm sure many many more exploits and glitches and bugs will be found and fixed, but to the unsung heroes who abuse these bugs, really, if it weren't for them imagine the kinds of nightmares CivCraft would have if these glitches were out on release. (Just look at tekkit)
While I don't condone abusing these glitches, I do see the value of the people who actually find these bugs. Maybe instead of looking at somebody else's faults, you look internally first

Rather than finding the exploits and glitches to further fix the game, people abuse them to win, not to name names but...

Quote:
Too many kids - There are WAY too many ignorant pricks who don't know anything about the game and whine in [L] or [G] chat. I know there is a message as you log in saying "This is an advanced game mode, go read the wiki" but that definetly isn't enough. The wrong kinds of people are being attracted. Instead of somebody who actually can read, you get 12 yr old x-box live addicts who like CoD and hate reading. This is a huge issue in the community because it also brings kids who use illegal clients/mods.

Most of the people I have seen get banned for illegal mods have been "older" that know what they are doing. Also, I find it very offensive to target the "younger" audience in this way, many "kids" have thrived in this gamemode, including myself. If you find them annoying in local or global, there's a /ch leave global/local for a reason....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:10 pm 
Peasant

@Netizen I did report things, until you stopped responding, I thought you stopped reading. It would help if I knew I could trust your staff, you know, because most of the people who I talk to say to never report anything to mods, "Because phase 4".

@Presto The stereotype is completely justified, or it wouldn't exist in such a huge manner. I'm not saying all younger players are bad, I'm saying there are way too many people who ask and ask and ask when they shouldn't be. Namely younger audiences. I'm sure I could go around [L] and ask for their ages. I am also referring to those people who don't know the gamemode at all. Not to things like "What does the store do again" more like "How do I get a civ" or "Why can't I make iron."

Also Presto, I mentioned how the community needs to be refocused on the real goal. Release. When I came to this gamemode, I thought it was all about winning, as do so many new players, after 2 phases, and talking to lots and lots and lots of people have I realized how much of a fine-tuning the community needs.

I also completely agree with this anti-hack mod. It gives people who actually know what a health potion is the huge advantage against somebody who just attacks people through walls. I namely wholeheartedly support this!

Reputation is also a huge factor, right now, the admins are like a distant star and the mods are like space probes. Sure, it exists, but it will take 3 weeks to get there and back. Right now, you don't have a very good reputation, and I hope it changes with time, but there are lots of mistakes and that's why it's beta, the only problem is that it's a PUBLIC beta. You will get a taste of earth's variety of people. Just like bugs and mistakes, getting angry will NOT help. In basic coding, the most important rule with dealing with bugs is that patience and calm logic can outlast any bug, glitch or problem. This is also true to a community, sure maybe somebody did something wrong, or abused something, but doesn't mean they're bad people, with patience I'm sure this game mode would be running at "Ecstatic" rather than "Content" if you get my meaning. You might try to focus on how the community abuses and exploits, but always keep in mind, there wouldn't be a bug/exploit/glitch if you did your job right. So please, before looking one way or the other, look at how things are going on both sides.

I understand seeing a bug and people going "umg fking devs so bad l2code" but I also understand "These kids, abusing and cheating. I'm tired of it."
In Japan, instead of finding one person to blame or punish, they instead look for the problem and fix it, that's why they're so far advanced, and it's because a project isn't an individual, just like a Civ isn't just one person (I mean big powerful civs) it's a collective working together. You must understand the other side before acting/saying anything at all.

And a final note in this reply, I know coding is hard, and it's very difficult to completely debug something before releasing it, that's why there's beta. I completely and totally agree that hackers should be banned, but really, playing with a community as an administrator is like being a parental chaperone, you need to learn a balance between the whip and the carrot. (Candy w/e w/e, punish vs reward) This is the only beta I can see that doesn't reward players for helping out. Humans are REASONABLE, if they weigh 0 gain personally against immense personal gain, you will see dupes and dupes and dupes. Exploits and exploits will be abused until you give them something to report for. For example, if you were to award per say, ~500 plat for a major exploit, I'm sure beta testers would actually beta test and bugs would be reported a lot more often. It would also be very helpful if we could actually reach you. When you want to learn local culture, you don't go to a resort, you go to the locals. When you want to know the state of the game, you live among them, not watch from above. Simple, and basic leadership dictates you need to know yourself before you know your surroundings. You need to know the state of your community before you can even think of assuming this or that will be good. I'm sure polls and lots of communication can really help.

I hope you got the joke in this picture, if you did you're sharp.

Last edited by Arturec on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:59 pm 
AvRGaming Staff

Fademan21 wrote:

I'd like to see if someone can install reis 1.7.2 with forge. I tried but it didn't seem to work my first go.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:15 am 
Prince

netizen539 wrote:
Fademan21 wrote:

I'd like to see if someone can install reis 1.7.2 with forge. I tried but it didn't seem to work my first go.

1.7.2 Rei's does not work with forge.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:30 am 
Settler

netizen539 wrote:
Fademan21 wrote:

Well i tried it also but didn't work sadly, but i got optifine+reis minimap for 1.7.2 without forge.(which in my opinion isn't a hack-client)
I also got a video of how to install: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP8Gltp60V4

Phase 7: resident of lightz, resident of Holy WON

Arendal
Phase 6 resident of Mysted, mayor of Quanton
Phase 7 resident of westeros

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next